Middle school is an exiting time for students as more freedom is granted to be independent. With independence comes responsibility. As with elementary classes, it is important at the end of the day that students restore their own area and then do a required task on the board for the restoration of the classroom.
The Middle School program is academically rigorous, balanced with the concept of “meaningful work,” whereby the students engage in “occupations.” These occupations help develop the entrepreneurial spirit of the student and help them recognize the importance of work.
The Middle Curriculum encompasses these academic spheres:
- MATH, Pre-Algebra and Algebra
In the words of Dr. Maria Montessori: “”My vision of the future is no longer of people taking exams and proceeding on that verification from that secondary school to the university, but of individuals passing from one stage of independence to a higher [one], by means of their own activity, through their own effort or will, which constitutes the inner evolution of the individual.”
Is your child ready for middle school?
Middle school students have achieved these developmental milestones:
- Consistently follow classroom expectations
- Organization of school material: binders; planner; storage bins; assignments; handouts
- Ability to concentrate for longer periods of time
- Participate Actively, thoughtfully, and positively in group discussion
- Independence in working
- Less dependent on the teacher for managing self and environment
- Should be able to work through assignments with limited guidance/assistance from the teacher
- Developing critical thinking and analysis skills to problem solve on own
- Follow instruction
- Do instructions as assigned; not how a student wants to do them
- Turn in homework when due
- Listening skills/attention skills
- Peer relationships
- Develop positive relationship with peers
- Learn how to work within a community and contribute to the well-being of the community
- Share feelings and concerns in an honest and loving manner
- Be respectful to others